To celebrate the launch of our brand-new, 99% natural Almond & Milk Hand Cream, we’ve collaborated with Jasmine Hemsley – wellness expert, cook and author of East by West and The Art of Eating Well. Enjoy a relaxing wind-down with her exclusive Almond Moon Milk recipe below.
Almond Moon Milk by Jasmine Hemsley
This grounding, nourishing recipe is enjoyed warm in the evening as a perfect wind down before bedtime. Allow time for yourself and enjoy a relaxing hand massage using Burt’s Bees Almond and Milk Hand Cream whilst sipping on this delicious, subtly sweet, malty treat!
Almonds are strengthening and nourishing whilst dates are considered a tonic in Ayurveda; they are recognised as sattvic – meaning harmonious and as creating Ojas or vigour in the body. Sweet fennel seeds are cooling yet digestive, helping to relieve bloating and alleviate any nausea and indigestion, a perfect way to end the day. Dairy milk is another Ojas food in Ayurveda – always simmered and served warm to make it more digestible, or use almond milk as your base, another Ayurveda classic. Tweak your Almond Moon Milk to suit your daily needs by adding some fragrant herbs and spices as referenced in my East by West tips.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 5 raw almonds (or blanched)
- 1-2 pitted Medjool dates
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds – grind in a pestle and mortar or use ready ground
- ½ cup of organic milk (full fat and unhomogenised if possible) plus 1 cup of water OR 1 cup of almond milk (no need to add extra water to the almond milk)
- In the morning (or at least 5 hours before), soak the almonds in water. To prepare the drink, slip the almonds from their skins (if not already blanched) and place in a blender with the medjool dates, ground fennel seeds and the dairy milk*.
- Blend on low to begin with and gradually increase to medium until the almonds and dates are well blended.
- Add the water (if using dairy milk) and blend again.
- Transfer to a saucepan, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, lid off, for 10 mins to reduce to one cup’s worth.
- To serve, transfer to your favourite mug and sip slowly at a temperature that suits you that evening, using a teaspoon to scoop up the almond goodness at the bottom, and remembering to take a seat, apply your Burt’s Bees Almond and Milk Hand cream and begin the relaxing process before bed.
*If using almond milk, blend the almonds, dates and fennel with half the almond milk before blending in the rest. Heat the almond milk to your desired temperature and serve. No need to reduce.